Saturday 8 October 2011

Severn and Solent Rail Rover Day 4


It’s 29th September and I am up and ready for Day 4 of the Rail Rover. I have decided to trust the weather forecast saying it’s going to be hot again and dressed appropriately. My first goal today is to get to Lymington Pier, a place I have never been, and because it is on the map of places I am allowed to visit with the Rail Rover I wanted to go there.
The 8.19am Sardine train arrived 150241 today, the commuters, school children and other passengers shuffled to the doors all hoping to get a seat, but some were to be unlucky has this was the service from Bridgend and was nearly full to capacity on arrival.  I tried to turn myself off to the surroundings on the journey much like the regular passengers by reading a book, but the annoying clicking from the numerous headphones kept my attention more than the book, and annoyed me greatly.
Arriving at Cardiff Freightliner 66607 was on the blocks, becoming a regular locomotive at Cardiff, but I have as yet failed to get a decent photograph of it.
I decided on the usual 9am to Bristol Temple Meads, which today, was to be 150249, I really cannot believe a Class 150 doing this long journey to Plymouth every day.
The usual breakfast travelling the tunnels and a browse of the book took most of the journey to Bristol, but something caught my attention glancing out of the window, some sort of purple flowers everywhere along trackside.  I peered and looked and eventually decided they were Michaelmas Daisies, an unusual sight but very pleasing to the eye. These flowers were to be seen many times over and over the next few days travelling.
Bristol station was rather void of any train action today, so I decided to just have a wander and take a few random photographs.

150239
158763


The Portsmouth Harbour train arrived today being 158959, this is the one I remember the worse of the ones with closed up seats.  There were lots of passengers with lots of cases, so I presume there was a cruise ship in at Southampton.  Everyone settled down but just before Westbury there was an announcement, “This is an urgent message for passengers travelling passed Westbury, and this train will terminate at Westbury due to a fault on the train”.  Now if that wasn’t going to create panic nothing would, people running to their cases and getting belongings together.  Another announcement” There will be a replacement train at the same platform within a few minutes of this one arriving”, very odd I thought to myself they don’t have replacement trains on standby at Westbury. Well we arrived and even more panic set in, it seemed the replacement train was the one from Portsmouth going to Cardiff, and they had received a similar message to change trains.  You can imagine the panic of two three-car trains actually swapping passengers all with a large amount of cases and baggage to swap also.  I took a slow walk to the other platform to the toilets, trying to decide if I really wanted to go any further on these trains, but then strolled back, the frantic change over was still going on but I boarded the train and secured a seat.  Considering the trains both gave out fault on the train messages they both went back the way they had came hopefully with the correct passengers on.  I still have not fathomed out the reasoning behind that exchange or which train did have an actual if any problem.
I settled down again to watch the world and the wonderful countryside views pass by.  The arrival at Southampton Central came very quickly and the same frantic disembarking of passengers as was at Westbury, cases, baggage and coats were going in all directions.  Luckily I knew that platform 4 was the departure platform for the fast service to Brockenhurst, the station where I was to change for Lymington.  I wasn’t in any rush unlike some so a stroll over the walkway and to my surprise within minutes my next train was arriving, for a change it was to be the 12.43pm Cross Country Trains 221140 Voyager service to Bournemouth.  The journey was quick thirteen minutes to be precise, but passing through some wonderful New Forest views.  The next train to Lymington was 13.12pm so a little wander around the station for a few minutes

444045 at Brockenhurst with a service to Weymouth 


The train to Lymington arrived in the shape of 158883, I couldn’t help wishing it had been a year or so ago, has I think they were still running the old 3 rail electric CIG slam door units on the route until May 2010 that would have been a nice experience. I think I would have probably done a few trips back and fore.
Another pleasant scenic route journey, viewed from a very nice and spacious South West Trains class 158 slowly winding its way to its destination.
We arrived at Lymington Pier and I was awe struck the station was actually a pier, with the sea and marina to one side, the car park for the ferry on the other.   The Ferry was in and just finishing loading passengers and vehicles, to my amazement one being a Double Decker bus, before departing to Great Yarmouth.  I checked on timings and sadly felt that there was not enough time to take a trip on the ferry maybe another day.  So instead I had a walk around this unusual station and took some photographs. 
 158884  

Never seen a station with a Lifebelt before 






Getting restless to get more travel miles in, I returned to Brockenhurst on the next service the same 158884 so obviously this is a shuttle service. Again I was lucky and my next train was only a few minutes wait and was to be the 14.15pm South West Trains 444014 as far as Southampton, followed close behind by the 14.35pm South West Trains 158883 Southampton to Eastleigh.  I planned a two hour stay at Eastleigh hopefully to get some decent photographs in the bag.  I wasn’t to be disappointed there in full sun to greet me was GBRF 66705 “Golden Jubilee” just for starters, with some good photographs to follow.


66705 "Golden Jubilee" 




450091


66572


66147
158885

An enjoyable 2 hours photography in warm sunshine came to an end, has my next planned train was to be to Portsmouth Harbour and was to be the 16.28pm South West Trains 450112.  My thoughts were now on something to eat has I had actually ran out of munchies.   On arrival at Portsmouth I had a good half hour or more till my train so a brisk walk to the shoping precint and specifically to the Pasty Presto shop, leek and bacon oh my yes please, I had savoured one of these earlier in the year on a visit and just had to have another.  It was difficult not to eat these lovely pasties straight away; yes I had bought two for the journey back.  The only obvious option was to have an ice cream and sit and watch the boats and ferries till the time came for my train to arrive.
The train arrived First Great Western 158952 and had to be cleaned and water replenished in the flushing facilities before anyone was allowed to board, I walked the train whilst waiting to board and planned my seat one with lots of leg room.
The journey home was pleasant and disaster free thankfully.  The end of another wonderful day, travelling with my Rail Rover Ticket.
My Collection of Railway Photographs Old and New


No comments:

Post a Comment