Sunday 2 October 2011

Severn and Solent Rail Rover Day 3

27th September and the walk to the station was like de ja vue, but I guess it is only a few days since I completed the same journey.  The plan was to do the same as the 23rd Bristol, Westbury and Didcot. 
The Sardine Train arrived, 150259, and was three minutes late.  The journey didn’t seem so bad this morning or maybe it was me getting used to the full train.
A few freights were sighted during the wait for my train on arrival at Cardiff, 66038 in charge of the weekday intermodal service to Barry Dock.   66011 passing with a coal train for Aberthaw closely followed by 66181 empty coils working with BAA wagons heading for Margam.
The 9am Cardiff Central to Plymouth arrived and was to be First Great Western 150238, another class 150 working this long trip unbelievable must be a regular thing.
Has I munch on my breakfast I was watching the mist swirling in areas of the countryside, I couldn’t help thinking I hope the weather people have not got it wrong again.  Hitting the Severn Tunnel at speed proved to be a chilling experience, and a quick drop in temperature brought a shiver to the body, maybe the T-shirt was not such a good idea after all.
Dropping down into Bristol I noticed the old Barton Hill Depot now had the letters LNWR on the walls, a new owner maybe, apparently not, making investigations it’s a subsidiary company of Arriva Trains and is now a train maintenance facility, but there again it always was wasn’t it. In the depot was one of the rail washing machines with 66175 at the head, now this was a true sign autumn is here.
A quick walk around Temple Meads showed nothing really interesting to photograph, maybe a model detailing shot.


Wait a minute the Portsmouth Harbour train is already there I noticed.  That surely isn’t right that early.  Arriving at the train it was found to be more or less empty, my guess is that there is a problem on the incoming train to Portsmouth and there will be an all change.  My suspicions were correct the offending train arrived and all the passengers changed trains moaning about “there was now no seat reservations”, and “would I catch my ferry”.
Luckily we departed more or less on time, and exiting the station area with yet another very full First Great Western Class 158 we passed an immaculate SB Rail tamper No DR73110, not sure I have heard of that company before.
A few things began to worry me, I kept seeing unusually more than usual photographers strategically placed along the route.  What had they come to photograph, it’s not me for sure I am not that popular well not yet anyways.  There was more and more along the way with cameras pointing in the direction of the train I was on so, there must be something special following or close behind my train.  I had not a clue with nothing seen or posted on the Internet or email the day before.  On arrival at Westbury I speedily made my way to some photographers on the platform, “what special is coming” I enquired, Britannia No. 7000 with support coach on its way to Bournemouth area for tomorrows Rail Tour.  I hurried off to try and work out a good spot to photograph it not knowing what platform it would run through, but luck was on my side click I got it.

Britannia 70000

I spent another hour or so at Westbury photographing a few trains including the unusual sighting of a Class 08 shunter working.  This was a rare sight and took a large amount of photographs for detailing purposes for my Class 08 projects.


08847

Time to move on if I was to get to Didcot for a few hours photography.  The 12.10pm to Cardiff Central was boarded to Bath Spa.  On arrival at Bath Spa it was found the next London Paddington train was stopping at Didcot rather than change at Swindon so a quick scurry down the stairs to purchase a ticket from Swindon to Didcot has Didcot is outside the limits of my Rail Rover, which is only has far as Swindon.  Love the speed of these HST’s in this area.
Didcot arrived there was a pair of 67s and yet another track washing machine, photographing away and a slow stroll around trying to get some nice angles soon led to panic there was an unusually much larger than normal band of spotters at the end of the platform, again I had to go and make enquiries.  On approach to the group a one rather excited spotter shouted the 47s are coming the 47s are coming, you don’t ask questions at that eagerness and camera was grabbed from the bag just had time to turn and fire off a barrage of shots, wow a pair of DRS Class 47s on what I was to find out was the boat train from Glasgow to Southampton.  I learned the lesson many years ago to more or less have your camera ready to fire when u get it out the bag sometimes even on automatic, I have lost to many shots by being not ready for spur of the moment things.

47801 and 47841



Well how much more luck was I going to have that day.  Mingling with the group of spotters, the excited one approached me, “I cant believe today 47s 37s 67s”, I had to ask what 37s, DRS 37s had been there earlier with a Network Rail train and could be back, oh my gosh maybe more lucky’s.  I carried on photographing various movements enjoying the now bright sunshine and the company of the knowledgeable spotters, If anything was due the spotters would jump up or come and say what was due, which was very helpful and appreciated.
A relaxing few hours photographing followed, here is a few photographs from the day.

A rather dirty 67020 with 67027 on the front awaiting the signal to depart.



220009


66096

43181

Well time had nearly arrived to start planning my journey home, but wait there is a more than usual activity from the spotters, a finger pointing the 37s are back, their back, looking in the direction they were like half a mile away but I followed the crowd.  I was determined not to attempt running like the crowd my running days are over sadly.  I couldnt help thinking my luck is bound to run out at some point before I get there they are going to move.  But no the call came out their not moving for at least an hour,  I eventually got to a position and snapped away, another lovely sighting,  what a day of unusual workings I muttered walking back to the main platform area.

37601


37601 and 37610 on the rear.

Well the time had now definatelycome to depart, a shake of the hand of the group of spotters I had the pleasure of being with especially a guy called Dave from Swindon.  Sadly you meet many nice people following this hobby but many are never seen again.
Boarded the HST with having to change at Swindon, within minutes of getting off at Swindon the HST to Carmarthen approached boarded and secured a nice window seat.  The sun was setting fast and the view was fading fast.  On approach to Bristol Parkway the train veered in a direction I wasnt used to at that point, and on arrival I could see we had actually moved right across the platforms to the platform normally used by local services.  With three HSTs in the platforms my heart sank, there has got to be a problem I think this is where my luck runs out.  Soon there appeared a constant stream of passengers approaching our train, the flow went on and on, a young man sat by me, what train have you all come off I enquired.  The man said we been sitting on that HST over there for an hour the tunnel is closed.  With that the dreaded announcement a previous train had reported hitting something in the tunnel and Network Rail had closed the tunnel for investigation, this train would now take a much longer route via Gloucester apologies to all passengers using this route today.  The young man asked if I could wake him up on approach to Cardiff has he was very tired and had travelled thousand of miles all the way from Australia without a problem, get within half hour of Cardiff and chaos.  The train departed obviously after getting on has many passengers has they could.  The train was slow and with now not being able to see out it was very difficult to judge where we actually were.  It was a long and what seemed like a never ending journey but eventually we arrived at Cardiff only two hours late, with many many irate travellers especially the commuters, I really felt sorry for these people. I dragged my weary body on to the Class 143 to Barry, thinking what a day, my body needed my bed badly.   

My Collection of Railway Photographs Old and New







No comments:

Post a Comment