Friday 30 September 2011

Severn and Solent Rail Rover - Day 2


24th September waiting at Barry Dock for a trip to Eastleigh. Everyone jumps up thinking the train was coming when in fact it was the Ford Engines VGA Vans from Bridgend with 66086 in charge looking to be twice the length than it normally is.  The train eventually arrived 150240, it was considerably quieter passenger wise due to it being a Saturday.  I cannot help staring out of the window thinking the weather people have got it wrong again, they said sunny, and its dark and cloudy, why do I make plans listening to them. 
The Class 158 was boarded at Cardiff Central, and seat was secured and we were off on time.  I always like to get a seat going backwards to Bristol Temple Meads on the direct train to Portsmouth because it changes direction there going in the reverse direction.
A hearty breakfast of bacon and tomato sandwiches was eaten whilst travelling through the tunnels, as there is not much else to do.  On approach to Bristol Temple Meads we came to a stop which I thought most unusual, followed by the announcement that we were waiting platform allocation, well yes there is 13 there is a lot to choose from, I thought to myself.

Pulling into the platform there was a very large crowd assembled awaiting the train, this is going to get very full I think.  Hopefully the majority would be visiting Bath Spa.  I’m sure the air conditioning on these Class 158s doesn’t work like it used to, it was getting hotter by the minute, I remember my cousin saying that if you use air conditioning on high in a car you use a lot more fuel so maybe that’s the reason for FGW's reduction in its efficiency to save fuel, just guessing. 
Never seen so many barges on the river and canals on the approach to Bath Spa whick made for a pleasant sight and perhaps worth a photography visit one day.  One couple jumped up and about half the coach followed, I was correct most were on a day trip or to work at Bath Spa.
I settled down to taking in the sights of the trip but always one eye on the dark clouds, which were beginning to annoy me.  On leaving Warminster, we passed the military barracks and passed row upon row of modern looking military vehicles, I thought we were short of equipment for the forces or it could be that it’s the wrong kind of equipment that’s the usual excuse.
Southampton seemed to arrive very quickly compared with previous visits and I had 35 minute wait for the Eastleigh train.  I took a stroll up and down the platforms to stretch the legs after being cramped up in the seats for a couple of hours.
South West trains Class 158 was the train to Eastleigh and wow what a difference the same type of Class 158 train I had just got off but with twice the legroom and double the cleanliness.
Eastleigh, still the same has the last time I visited, but annoyingly the sky seemed darker than ever.  I had a few hours at Eastleigh but with very few locomotive movements and low light I was getting increasingly bored and fed up.  Having to use I high ISO was also discouraging me from taking photographs due to the production of high levels of grain in images, which was a pet hate of mine.  
I had to find the toilets, “closed due to vandalism” the sign read that made my decision for me, I had to move on.  These are a few examples of the photographs I took at Eastleigh.

66006 with a Rail carrier and laying train.



66587

444005


377418

I boarded the 14.06pm train to Southampton, still not knowing where I was going.  After arriving and getting a comfort break at long last, I scrutinised the departure boards where to go.  The next train to arrive was for Weymouth, the decision was made, I boarded the Class 444 with the intention of going to Weymouth, and first impressions hit me right in the face, the train was cool there was plenty of coaches and plenty of seats and the overall appearance was very clean and comfortable with 100 percent more leg room per seat making for a much more comfortable journey.  We sped through wonderful countryside, which I can presume to be the New Forest, and followed the coast of Poole Harbour for some time.  I love these trains I thought with a smile to myself and could travel for hours very comfortable and relaxing.  It was a couple of hours to Weymouth and on arrival I enquired on trains back or trains to Bristol direct, there was a 17.28pm direct train to Bristol Temple Meads, that would give me an hour and half to look around.  A stroll on the beach and an ice cream was order of the day especially has we now had full sun and blue skies.


I was enjoying the sun and the visit to Weymouth so much, I almost forget the time and sadly had to make an hastily retreat back to the station. 
There was a crowd of about a 100 on the empty platform with 2 Class 444,s on the others, examing the departure boards, my fears were founded the crowd were waiting for the train I had planned to travel on, and what was even more worrying was the departure board showed it was to be a 1 coach train, a Class 153 all that way with all them people I don't think so.  A quick phone call to my son back in Barry, and a check on the internet showed if the next Class 444 departure in a few minutes was on time arriving at Southampton I would have ten minutes to spare to catch my connection, I could get home the way I came.  The decision didnt take long to make, with the horrible vision of a 3 hour trip on class 153 in my mind,  I didnt take much persuasion to board the class 444, this was the  best and most comfortable way to travel back. The long journey home commenced, my thoughts drifted on how nice it was at Weymouth and If I had given it some more thought I could have looked for B & B, and stayed, sighs oh well maybe another time. The journey home was long, made even longer because I was travelling in the dark.  Due to a train fault with my connection at Cardiff to Barry service making for a long wait, I eventually got home at 11.15pm very tired with a total rail miles for the day being 374.   

My Collection of Railway Photographs Old and New

No comments:

Post a Comment