Tuesday 20 September 2011

Trip to Model Rail Live at Barrow Hill – Part 2

 Having not been to Model Rail Live or Barrow Hill before, I was a little apprehensive on where to go first, but, a very detailed guide was passed to me on entry and it was free which was a surprise, most events charge extra for guides.  Well the sun was shining and I thought the best move was to photograph some of the outside locomotives first.  A nice line up of locomotives greeted me, including a wonderful looking 56101 and an immaculate 47828 which last time I saw was in Cotswold Rail livery and named "Joe Strummer".  Other diesel locomotives of interest were 37087, 40013, 40145, 82008, 84001, 56006, 73117, 03066 and a Peak, which I failed to get the number of or a photograph of.

37087, 82008 and 47828 in view

56101, 56006 and 03066 in view
The Brake Van rides were popular behind 03066 has where the miniature Thomas the Tank Rides

56101 with Nameplate Covered

The 56101 was awaiting a naming ceremony, I later found out that it was to be named “Frank Hornby” I would have thought Barrow Hill would have been more appropriate but that’s just my opinion.  Half way through snapping the locomotives a few large drops of rain were falling so a mad dash to a covered area ensued, and just has I got to the Roundhouse entrance the heavens opened.


The Roundhouse what an awesome sight, I paused for a few minutes to take in the splendour and vast size, and only wish I could have seen it when it was in operation in the Steam era.  I attempted a few photographs inside but due to the amount of people walking around and the low light it was virtually impossible to get anything decent for publishing, so excuse the poor quality of the images.  Long exposure would have produced something more acceptable but impossible to attempt, especially without a tripod.  But it was still an experience walking around viewing the line up that I had seen in many magazines but now close up, and if u lingered long enough you could actually hear the sounds of days long gone by.

The Diesel and Electric Locomotives

The Steam Locomotives


The Class 20 sat on the turntable which was actually rotated has a demonstration


58016 with the Class 58 Group signing up new members - will be nice to see one of these back on mainline use again.
The Business end of 58016

Well I seen and studied all that was to be seen in the Roundhouse, time was tight, time to move on but where to next.


To Be Continued Part 3 coming shortly

Large Photographs from the event can now be viewed at my Railway Photograph Web Site Action Rail UK




No comments:

Post a Comment