Monday 19 September 2011

Model Rail Live at Barrow Hill - Part 1

Trip  to Model Rail Live at Barrow Hill – Part 1

17th September 2011 had arrived.  I awoke to the 4.45am alarm very bleary eyed, not a lot of sleep, due to the usual noisy smack head neighbours.  Everything had been prepared the night before so was easy, a coffee and go.  Hitting the early 5.30am morning air was definitely a system shock especially has there was a gale blowing and coat and jumper were packed nicely in the bag not to be disturbed.
Barry Dock station was eerily quiet and dark no other passengers whatsoever.  The Train Board showed Train on Time but a few minutes later changed to show  6 minutes late, a few muttered swear words and I thought this is not a good start.  The train arrived albeit late and was surprisingly a Class 153 153312 in fact well that was a surprise.
Arriving at Cardiff Central Station 20 minutes later the wind was still blowing, and was trying to be brave not showing I was actually freezing in my shirt sleeves I awaited the arrival of the Class 170 Cross Country Service to Nottingham, which would take me to either Birmingham New Street or Derby, I had not fully committed to a decision on which at that point.  I managed to secure a nice table seat facing the direction of travel on the side I wanted to be, result.  The whistle went and off we went right on time. Looking around the carriage I was instantly convinced the oldish man opposite was going to the show, he had a railway fan look about him but was to be proved wrong later has he got off at Burton on Trent.   The Train journey was surprisingly comfortable for a 170 and I enjoyed the early morning views of the Severn Estuary travelling between Caldicot and Lydney.  On enquiring with the Train Manager (Guard) it was decided to go to Derby.  A hearty Breakfast was eaten and the sights of the trip enjoyed with memories of travelling days gone by.
Derby Station was very bleak and wintery with very little happening a lonesome Class 153 ticking over awaiting its turn, and a view of the Network Rail fleet in the distance was all that was to be seen, the notice showed my train to Chesterfield was running 13 minutes late, so a walk around the platforms was in order to keep warm.  The Cross Country Voyager arrived and was very full a seat was difficult to find, and a dirty look was received from a young lady whom I asked to move her bag, so I could sit down was received, why do people do that then feel peeved off when u ask for the seat, you haven’t paid for 2 seats have u duhhh and I did put deodorant on this morning, lots of it in fact. Chesterfield was a long time coming due to the slow running of the train all the way, probably due to missing its path. 
On exiting the station I could see an old single decker bus with Barrow Hill on the front, yes that was easy. I asked how much and was told a donation would be grateful, that was good.  Despite the bus being full we waited and waited and waited, then up jumped the driver “Good Morning my name is John I am your driver for the day” he announced followed by a detailed story of the repainting of the bus the night before and the cost of the fuel and it was all voluntary, and there was 200 in the queue when I took the last lot, this was obviously aimed at the ones that had not donated a penny in the bucket.  There was sighs and groans sounding around the bus, “Come on Get on with it” was shouted, seemed to take forever.  Then another driver poked his head on the bus my bus is going first this one is not going for half an hour, oh dear an instant stampede followed with pushing shoving moaning and groaning, “Why didn’t he tell us that in the first place” everyone moaned.  The bus was off soon has the last foot Had passed the door, the driver seemed to know the route well but to me was driving rather dangerously and at one point the rear of the bus was starting to speed roll, was rather a scary trip to Barrow Hill. 
I heard someone say “Were Here”, thank god for that was my thoughts, I felt very unsafe in that bus and had worked up a sweat getting stressed, and nearly had to ask someone to prise my fingers out of the back of the seat from where I had been clinging on.  But my worries were soon overcome by excitement has we rounded the corner, 89001 I nearly shouted out loud, in full sun looking wonderful in Inter City Livery.  Everyone was hurrying to the pay gates to be first despite no queues, not me I stood and stared at 89001 and took a good selection of photographs, this locomotive had always eluded me for years in my spotting days I never got to see it, and here it was just me and 89001, has all the other passengers had now gone through the gates, I touched 89001 and with a big grin said “Thank You you’ve made my day”.




To be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment